Monday, November 13, 2006


"Cognitive Learning"

My First Memory

My most blurred and unsure memory is probably when I was around three or four years old. My family and I went to Hong Kong and were walking on the street. Suddenly, I saw this poor looking beggar on the side of the street and my father tossed a coin to that beggar. Once I saw that I walked over to the beggar and took away her can full of coins. She swore at me in a language I don’t understand and my dad tried to grab it out of my hands while I refused. I ran away and my brother caught me in time, took the can from my hand and I cried.


As I thought, before writing this article, I was doubting whether this memory was the incident I remembered or if it's a scene that I've been told. As I expected, this incident was probably not the real memory I had because our brains were only programmed to remember the things that happened to us at the age 4-5 and this happened to me when I was 3. When we did the memory analysis in class, we ranked the memories as either negative, positive, or neutral. To my surprise, most of them were either positive, or negative. The explanation is that we tend to remember things that are involved with our emotions because they are more significant. The things that stand out in our minds are obviously those more remarkable ones.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home